Russell Wayne Updike
Russell W. "Russ" Updike came to Covington, Virginia from Richmond in 1990. He received his B.S. degree from Virginia Commonwealth University in 1986 and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Richmond T. C. Williams School of Law in 1990. Mr. Updike joined the firm of William T. Wilson and Associates in 1990 and engaged in the general practice of law until becoming a partner in the firm of Wilson & Updike in 1994. For the past 20 years Mr. Updike has practiced almost exclusively injury law representing individuals in personal injury, medical malpractice and workers' compensation claims.
Mr. Updike is a member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) and the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (VTLA). He has served as a representative of the VTLA Board of Governors from 1998 until 2008. He has also been active with the Virginia State Bar, serving as a member of the Eight District Committee from 1998 to 2004 before being appointed to the Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Board on July 1, 2004, where he served until July 2010. Mr. Updike also served as a representative of the Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia State Bar from 1994 to 1996. He also served as President of the Alleghany-Bath-Highland Bar Association from 2000 to 2001. Currently, Mr. Updike serves as Vice-President of the Alleghany-Bath-Highland Bar Association. Mr. Updike has been named a "Super Lawyer" by the Richmond, Virginia "Richmond Magazine" annually since 2008. Mr. Updike is also a member of the Virginia Law Foundation Fellows, Class of 2009.
Mr. Updike has been involved in the community by serving on the boards of the Salvation Army, Jackson River Enterprises and the Alleghany Highlands Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Updike is married to the former Jennifer Lilly of Lewisburg, West Virginia and they have twin boys, Eli Jackson and Trent Justice, who were born in March of 2004 as well as Ava Grace who was born in July of 2010.
Areas of Practice
- 40% Personal Injury
- 40% Medical Malpractice
- 10% Workers Compensation
- 5% Social Security
- 5% Traffic
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia, 1990
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1993
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. - 1990
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- B.S. - 1986
Honors and Awards
- Named a "Super Lawyer" by the Richmond
- Virginia "Richmond Magazine", 2008
- Member, Virginia Law Foundation Fellows, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA), Member
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (VTLA), Member
- Young Lawyers Conference of the Virginia State Bar, 1994 - 1996
- Alleghany-Bath-Highland Bar Association, President, 2000 - 2001
- American Association for Justice, 1993 - Present
- Virginia Law Foundation, Fellow, 1993 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- William T. Wilson & Associates, Associate, 1990 - 1994